From:
James Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 23:25:34 -0400
A group of 6-7 Ibis were present at Ottawa NWR in the middle of MS8B today.  There seems to be some disagreement about the exact ratio of species, but most people agree both Glossy and White-faced are present.  When I first looked at them at about 4 this afternoon I only saw five and they all appeared to be Glossy Ibises.  Someone else noticed a sixth but it disappeared again quickly.  When I came back at 6 all 6 Ibises were visible and I was fairly confident I was able to pick out the white facial border of at least one White-faced Ibis.  Eventually five Ibis flew off and circled overhead for several minutes before returning to where they had taken off.  During this time we were able to get good looks at the White-faced Ibis and confirm the identification.  I assume the other five that took off together were all Glossy Ibis since the White-faced did not go with them.

The Least Tern was still present at Maumee Bay from 3:30 to 4.  I was able to get some nice photos of the Least Tern and a shot of the Ibises that does not ID them to species and the photos are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/22374475@N07/.

James Fox
Farmington Hills