From:
Mark Shieldcastle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2012 17:12:55 -0400
The Lake Erie Marshes have been alive with bird activity today. A good
second pulse of the second wave arrived overnight and birders have been
rewarded with a good variety of warblers and other landbirds. This should
continue for the next couple of days with the weather patterns forecast at
this time.

An earlier post indicated that migration has been "strange" this year, but
that isn't exactly true. It's certainly different then last year, but one
only needs to extend the memory banks back to 2010 to find a very similar
spring migration as this year. What has been strange for the marsh region
has been vegetation leaf out. That has made birding more difficult.

The volume this year has not been that of last year, but is within normal
range for the weather patterns we have been experiencing. The diversity has
been there, and quite well observed. Three Kirtland's in one year and all 37
species of warbler seen multiple times during the Biggest Week in American
Birding is a good indication of that. Day length drives migration and
weather results in minor shifting. In high volume years, the low pressure
systems that generate the warm fronts that carry birds northward march
across the continent from west to east. When they are in the
Oklahoma/Arkansas region we get major movements (ex. 20 birds banded one day
and 800 the next). However this year we are seeing the lows being pulled up
into the Great Lakes region. We consistently see fewer numbers on this
pattern. This year, scientific reports are indicating a westward influx of
migrants up the Mississippi River valley with large numbers seen in
Wisconsin and environs.

Timing of migration has been within normality as well this year. We are
seeing a slight increase in "Third Wave" birds at this time as expected.
That wave normally occurs around May 25-30. This will be dominated by
vireos, flycatchers and the late warblers of Canada, Mourning, Wilson, and
American Redstart (most of which will be females). Today's movement was
dominated by Magnolias, the majority of which were males (the 2nd wave
dominant).

There are many things about migration that remain a mystery.  But after more
than 34 years of studying migratory birds and addressing the many threats
birds face on their arduous journeys, I hope that no one will be satisfied
with more mystery.  Research documents that migration is responsible for
over 80% of mortality of landbirds.  I think we need more answers, not more
mystery. Only knowledge will provide for a viable future for the feathered
friends that help maintain proper ecological balance and bring such joy to
our lives.

Mark Shieldcastle
Research Director

Black Swamp Bird Observatory

Oak Harbor, Ohio 43449

419-898-4070

2011 League of Ohio Sportsmen Conservation Organization of the Year Award
2012 Eastern Maumee Bay Chamber of Commerce Prism Award for Community
Improvement

 <http://www.bsbobird.org/> www.bsbobird.org
 <http://www.ohioyoungbirders.org/> www.ohioyoungbirders.org
 <http://www.biggestweekinamericanbirding.com/>