Date:
Sat, 19 May 2012 19:56:18 -0400
This  morning I had the enjoyment of hosting two newer birding enthusiasts,
Tim and  Jan Waggoner, at the Hoover Nature Preserve. They had contacted me
about seeing  a Prothonotary Warbler. Their request was right up my alley
since I have been  playing with the species for 27 seasons now. I started at
Oxbow Road where we  quickly located a male that although he showed himself,
did not meet standards  for savoring. Oxbow Road is often well populated
with fishermen this time of  year and rather than seek a better view there I
opted to go with Plan B, my  secret weapon of mass Prothonotary Warblers,
Area N in Galena. The first sounds  we heard when we got out of the car in
Galena were about three different  Prothonotaries singing. We walked the old
road south from Front Street to where  the water level still runs over the
road. A male was singing loudly from the  vernal pool as you enter the forested
area. He stayed too far back to enjoy,  therefore we continued until we
entered the section of the road that has water  on both sides. At this point we
had enough Prothonotaries singing to need a  score card. It was at this time
that they decided to be cooperative and began  showing themselves. We had
Prothonotaries high, low and every level in between.  Now I was more content
that my guests were enjoying their visit to see the  Prothonotaries. Males
sang, preened and foraged for us. The females were absent,  most likely all
in the nest boxes and cavities working on adding to their  clutches.
We  did take time to occasionally observe some of the other birds active
around us.  These included the Osprey on Platform 2, Warbling Vireos, Red-eyed
Vireos,  Baltimore Orioles, Ruby-throated Hummingbird and a cast of the
usual other  players.
After  Area N I took them to Hoover Meadows, a mitigation project wetland
off Sunbury  Road. Green Herons were plentiful as we saw about 7 or 8 easily.
A few of the  other species that were observed include Baltimore Oriole,
Orchard Oriole,  Eastern Kingbird, Swamp Sparrow, Common Yellowthroat and
Phoebe. Things were  fairly quiet as it was almost noon, but the walk was
pleasant and the company  first class.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover Nature  Preserve