From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2012 20:08:03 -0400
The Columbus Audubon trip to these two parks near downtown Columbus was treated to a steady trickle of interesting migrants and unusual resident birds this morning.  It wasn't a sizeable fallout, but the diversity was quite good, with a slant towards 'third wave' migrants (birds bound for the conifer forests of mid- and northern Canada).  I started with a brief stop at Berliner Park, then led the group around Scioto MetroPark and the Greenlawn cemetery.  Highlights included:

Waterfowl - nothing but the expected Mallards, Canada Geese, and 1 Wood Duck.
Great Egrets - at least 2 birds were feeding in the bay at Scioto, one with exquisite breeding plumes
Cormorants - only a few, mostly flyovers along the Scioto River
Shorebirds - nothing other than Kildeer
Raptors - not much, but the Osprey was happily on the nest in the old impound lot, even as earth-movers dug up the old lot around the nest pole.  Turkey Vultures were at each site, and a Red-tail was in the Cemetery

Hummingbirds - very few, with 1 fly-by at Berliner and another at the ravine in the cemetery
Cuckoos - 1 Black-billed at Scioto, along with 2 others that we didn't see long enough to ID to species
Woodpeckers - nothing unusual, but we did find nests of both Downies and Red-bellies
Flycatchers - good presence, highlighted by a Yellow-bellied along the bikepath at Scioto and an Olive-sided flycatching from a snag in the cemetery.  We also found Acadian (Berliner), Willow (Scioto), Pewees (all sites), Phoebes (cemetery), Great Crested (all sites), and E.Kingbirds (Scioto)

Swallows - all the common ones (except Martins) at Scioto, including a few Banks and Cliffs
Vireos - lots of Warbling singing and squabbling along the river in both Berliner and Scioto. Red-eyes were singing at all 3 sites.
Thrushes - very little movement, with only a few Swainson's in Berliner and in the Cemetery, mostly around the ravine
Mimids - loads of Catbirds, especially at Scioto.  Scioto also had a pair of Mockingbirds near the wetlands.
Cedar Waxwings - lots, mostly around fruiting mulberries at Scioto and in the Cemetery
Warblers - not much, but did manage to dig up 9 species, including Yellows (Scioto), Prothonotaries (3 singing in riparian areas of Berliner), Tennessee (Berliner), Magnolia (all sites), Chesnut-sided (all sites), Blackpolls (Berliner and Cemetery), Redstarts (all sites), Wilson's (Scioto), and Common Yellowthroat (Berliner, Scioto)

Sparrows - only the expected Songs (many at Scioto) and Chippings (a few in Cemetery)
Grosbeaks,Buntings - only 1 Rose-br.Grosbeak (a female at Scioto), but lots of Indigo Buntings (all sites)
Tanagers - only 1 Scarlet, at Berliner early
Orioles - lots of Baltimores along the river at both Berliner and Scioto, with even 1 in the Cemetery.  A male Orchard was singing along the old road just northwest of the Grange Center at Scioto.