From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2012 18:16:00 -0400
I birded Taft Reserve this afternoon, and found MANY grassland species.  Here is the entire list:

mallard - a pair on the tiny pond in the upper grass field
turkey vulture - 4
killdeer - 1
mourning dove - 4
red-bellied woodpecker - 2
northern flicker - 1
white-eyed vireo - 1
blue jay - 2
American crow - 3
tree swallow - 8 (one nest box now has one egg)
barn swallow - 3
house wren - 2
blue-gray gnatcatcher - 1
eastern bluebird - 6
American robin - 3
gray catbird - 6
northern mockingbird - 1
European starling - 7
common yellowthroat - 4
yellow warbler - 3
prairie warbler - 1
eastern towhee - 1
chipping sparrow - 3
field sparrow - 12
savannah sparrow - 6 (singing on territory; nestbuilding?)
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW - 2 (FOY)
Henslow's sparrow - at least 4 - got killer looks at one on territory WOW!
song sparrow - 8
white-crowned sparrow - 8 (all under feeders)
scarlet tanager - 1
northern cardinal - 5
rose-breasted grosbeak - 2 males at feeders
indigo bunting - 1
BOBOLINK - 3 (2 males and one female)
red-winged blackbird - 11
eastern meadowlark - 5
common grackle - 6
brown-headed cowbird - 4
house finch - 1
American goldfinch - 8
house sparrow - 2

Oh, yes.  The tick count was 6 today; much lower than the 11 I had the last time I was out "in the field".  Think I'll stick to paved trails for the next couple of days.

When I add in the birds I saw this morning at T J Evans Park and Horns Hill Park here in Newark, that makes 74 species for the day, one of the best birding days I've ever had here in Licking County.  I had 14 species of warblers today, without really trying.  Did I mention how much I enjoy being retired during migration?

Margaret Bowman
Newark, Licking Co., OH