Date:
Thu, 24 May 2012 15:38:27 -0400
I spent most of my morning monitoring nest boxes at Area L (Dustin Road)
and along Little Walnut Creek in Galena, Delaware County. I finished by
making a  quick run at Wiese Road as several individuals informed me that they
have heard  my phantom Prothonotaries calling there. More on this later.

The water levels remain high along Little Walnut Creek as if flows through
Area L. This suits the Prothonotaries to a T and they are doing nicely in
the  area. I tallied 7 males along the shore as it follows Dustin Road and
then  curves into the shallow cove, then 5 more along the lower section of
Little  Walnut Creek. The stretch of Little Walnut Creek from the old railroad
trestle  north to SR 3 yielded 4-6 more. The foliage made a firm count hard
as the males  were moving about and singing. They appear to have territories
abutting each  other all along the creek. Last year Shaune and I managed to
go upstream in her  boat and were surprised at the number of territories we
found. It looks to be a  banner year at this area of the nest box trail.

Some of the other species observed at Area L included Green Heron (a pair
nested there last year); a Wood Duck hen I watched come out of a high cavity
 that looked too small for her to get into, yet there she came popping out
like a  nerf ball; A Cooper's Hawk that was giving me the evil eye; several
Great  Crested Flycatchers; Louisiana Waterthrush, Northern Parula, Common
Yellowthroat, Indigo Buntings, and the other expected species.

I did have one non-bird pleasant surprise at Area L. I took two 50 gallon
trash bags with me expecting the normal litter left behind by people. The
area  was clean except for some very fresh litter. To whomever was so gracious
to  police the litter at Area L, THANK YOU!

Earlier I mentioned my phantom Prothonotaries at Wiese Road. I had
previously checked Wiese Road 4 times and had yet to hear, never mind see, a
Prothonotary Warbler. From 1987 on to last year finding a PROW at Wiese was
never a problem. Usually I would park, open the car door and immediately hear
one calling. A male generally had a preference to sit in a Buckeye tree just
as  you reach the water, where he would greet you with his song. This year
until  today my score was zilch at this area. I mentioned this lack of PROWs
at Wiese  in a prior posting and 3 different birders I know each told me
they have heard a  male calling along Wiese Road. He seems to have let his
presence be known to  everyone but me. Today I walked the road and stopped to
phish and wait for what  I expected to be a no response. Then both a male and
female flew in to greet me.  Only one pair there so far but that's better
than none. Wiese Road used to be a  small treasure. Between the bike trail
build along Wiese and the chop job done  along the utility lines the road is a
mere shadow of what is had been. Will it  come back or stay unproductive?
Time will tell.

Additional species at Wiese Road included a single Blue-winged Warbler at
the Plumb Road end, Cedar Waxwings, Yellow Warblers, 2 Common Yellowthroats,
a  Yellow-throated warbler in the tall Sycamore tree stand and many
Baltimore  Orioles.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve