From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 20:49:23 -0700
I went to Wildwood and Villa Angela SP in Cleveland today from 2:50pm to 5pm.  It was 87-83 degrees, winds 9mph SW, SSW, WNW.  It was humid and uncomfortable not wearing shorts.  Didn't even see a Chipping Sparrow down by Euclid Creek as I checked around 3pm and then 5pm.  Only had seven species of warblers:

Yellow - numerous
Chestnut-sided 1
Blackpoll 3
Black-and-White 1 or 2
American Redstart 4
Common Yellowthroat 1
Wilson's 1

There were more Cedar Waxwings seen and heard today.
All the usual stuff, few gnatcatchers, only two Swainson's Thrush, Wood Thrush, Great Crested Flycatchers,  multiple Eastern Wood-Pewees, Least Flycatcher and a flycatcher I could not ID by its call.  It looked a little like a Yellow-bellied and I saw it in two different places but its call was an upward ending "squel" or sqeel".  Anyways so I left there and went to Sims Park in Euclid from 5 to 7:25pm.  Not much in warblers this late in day here, a few Swainson's Thrush but did see the following near the lake which made up for my slow day so far:

Olive-sided Flycatcher 1 - seen east of pier in top of tall almost dead tree hanging over the bluff - first I have seen in a long time
Red-headed Woodpecker 1 - had not seen since fall or winter - was in same tree as flycatcher and another dead tree right next to it.  The woodpecker would fly out into the lake and return to the dead trees like a flycatcher over and over.  When I returned later the woodpecker was still there but an Eastern Kingbird had replaced the flycatcher.
Eastern Wood-Pewees
Spotted Sandpiper 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Chimney Swifts ~ 10 (always noticeable here)
Common Nighthawks 5-6 (I never ever see these, noticed what I thought was a raptor when I was near the playground area and realized what they were so I stood south of Henn Mansion.  After awhile they disappeared and then a little later I saw two return when I was on the driveway from the pier.  I
Cedar  Waxwing 6 flew west over parking lot

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/