From:
Aaron Milenski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Milenski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2012 19:01:47 -0400
I stopped by the Wolf Creek Environmental Center this afternoon and
was rewarded by seeing all of the birds mentioned by Dwight and Ann on
Wednesday (their post is still below.)   The Prairie Warbler was
singing continually the entire two hours I was there, and though it
was in tall trees it was right along the edge of the trail and not
difficult to see.   The clay-colored sparrow was more difficult.  It
sung often but hid below the line of sight in the scrub most of the
time, only showing itself a few times.  There appeared to be more than
one singing, though the singing was somewhat sporadic and I only saw
one.  The yellow-breasted chat also played some hide and seek but
showed itself more than the sparrow.  All are findable with some
effort.   The kind folks at the nature center have printed maps
listing the specific locations of the key birds.  Also of note were
that both Alder and Willow Flycatchers were singing throughout the
day.  This makes it a perfect learning opportunity for people like me
who struggle to learn flycatchers by song and would like the
opportunity to compare these two (which are impossible to distinguish
from each other by sight) in the field.   This lovely nature area is
highly recommended and was also loaded with field sparrows, common
yellowthroats, yellow warblers, bluebirds and house wrens.

Aaron Milenski,
Lakewood