From:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2012 17:24:14 -0400
I've been reading Olson and Larson, Gulls of North America, Europe and Asia
and looking at Bob's and Haans's photos.  The flight photo looks like
Greater Black-backed, right wing tip--the tip of P10 appears to be
completely white consistent with GBBG with a white mirror (some black
beyond white closer to tip) on P9 also consistent with GBBG.  In
comparison, Western Gull has a mirror on P10 with small white tip on P9.
With regard to size, the smallest female GBBGs are Herring Gull size.  Head
& bill shape consistent with GBBG--agree with Jen B.  The black color of
back close to shade of primaries is consistent with GBBG and NOT wth
Slaty-backed Gull adult plummage.  I've seen one adult on Attu. Extent of
white edging on tertials is more consistent with GBBG than with
Slaty_backed & Western.  Off course, pictures can be deceiving and I could
be incorrect.  It is almost 5 hours to Conneaut from Cincinnati.  Trying to
do my homework before jumping in my car and burning the fuel!  Hope that
Geoff Mallot's photos confirm these impressions!
Jay Lehman, Cincinnati, sent from DROID