Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 01:40:49 +0000
I have a rather small residential lot where we built our house two years ago in Avon Lake, Lorain County.  Not really "prime" for bird watching.  However, this year, I'm really surprised by the activity of nesting birds on our lot in such a close vicinity.

Chipping Sparrows fledged this weekend from our Knock Out Rose.  Small nest, I saw two baby Chipping Sparrows and a larger fledgling which I assume to be a parasitic Brown Headed Cowbird.  Not thrilled about the (assumed) Cowbird, but fun to watch.

Tree Swallows have laid 5 eggs in the Gourd nest I put to the North of our swing set.  My 5 and 8 year old daughters love to watch their blue-green colors.

Lastly, today, a bit of a surprise, I have two Blue Bird eggs in my Blue Bird House!  House Sparrows have been very aggressive this Spring so I'll watch these with great interest.

Not bad at all for a house in the middle of a residential development!

Good birding!!

Spencer