From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 13:08:32 -0400
I just exchanged messages with a nice fellow who, following clues from
others, got good looks at a rare Ohio species, then--following other
clues--commendably wrote it up for the Ohio Bird Records Committee. I
have the feeling his write-up will pass muster and clearly verify the
species' occurrence so it can be added to state records (as perhaps
Ohio's latest spring occurrence!), but I do regret the Committee did not
hear from several other more experienced observers who earlier announced
having seen and identified this bird. Luckily, this one observer
documented the occurrence.
        Records of occurrences of rarities (review species) that are deemed
adequate to verify occurrences are an important part of study of our
avifauna.  Not all that long ago birders routinely shot such birds and
preserved them; some birds that were rare in Ohio (a number of them
extinct now) can now be verified only by these old skins, when they can
(infrequently) be located. Many others lack proof: historically, some of
Ohio's best observers have reported species that, lacking a specimen or
an adequate description, must omitted from the official list. Just to
mention terns, these include roseate and gull-billed (neither on Ohio's
list); but we do have an adequate description of the far less likely
large-billed tern. Some correcting agency was needed.
        There are some species that probably should have been, and many others
that soon may be, added to the state list.  It is a list far more
important than any of our own little individual life lists for Ohio, and
more important for scientific purposes. Here--as in almost every state
and province--a panel of knowledgeable and dispassionate birders with
recognized expertise--our Bird Records Committee--has for decades
determined which species belong on the state list, and maintained
records to verify them. Until someone else has a better idea, the
Committee's decisions will rule on the status of occurrences of rare
birds documented in Ohio. A few people report rarities in Ohio, but do
not submit their details, photos, etc. to the OBRC or any established
peer-review source; their finds may not go into recognized records, and
I guess they don't care.
        More helpful information about the Committee, including the official
Review List (birds which require scrutiny from the OBRC to add to
official records), and an official state list of birds (I assume the OOS
is keeping these up to date) is at
http://www.ohiobirds.org/site/committee/overview.php   .  Also available
there is a lot of information on how to document rare species so their
presence can be added to reliable and verified records.
        I've served on the OBRC for several terms, and I can attest that all
documentations get careful consideration, and that the Ohio list is
solidly based. There was no other source of communal expertise among
Ohio birders until The Ohio Cardinal organized the Committee decades
ago. Membership on the OBRC is now determined by current members on a
yearly schedule, and feedback from Ohio birders is welcome. All RC
comments on records are available to the public, minus only the name of
the voter.
        As a current member, I'm now willing to announce that I will not vote
for membership for any person who publicly reports having seen a Review
Species without subsequently submitting formal documentation of such a
sighting to the Committee. That seems to be a one common-sense criterion
among many. However that works out, I feel reports of rarities to the
Committee will get fair treatment, and that the Ohio list will remain
full and accurate. If you find a rare bird, take copious notes and
photos if possible, looking forward to completing a report that others
can review; you don't even have to venture an opinion as to what species
it was, only to describe it as completely and accurately as you can. Too
many observers seem willing to publicly announce unusual sightings, but
not to back them up in a more careful way for historical purposes. Many
reporters don't seem to know for sure which bird occurrences are unusual
and which are routine; this information is available at the above web
address. Think about what an official state list means to everyone, and
you'll see the point.
Bill Whan
Columbus