From:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Haans Petruschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 14:05:34 -0400
Hi,

To add data to the question: During the 2007-2011 OBBA2 Ovenbird was found
in 1320 of 4432 blocks (29.7%) and in every atlas region, except Lake Erie
Islands.  This distribution was similar for the atlas completed in 1987

At Holden the habitat ranges from awful in secession areas that were not
managed for invasives as the trees came back, to pristine in old growth
areas.  As I said there are some areas where earthworms have destroyed the
lower forest layers,  Keep in mind invasive earthworms are mostly a problem
in glaciated areas that have no native worms.

Given the ideal habitat and reports from nearby areas I wonder if our lack
of Ovenbirds is has more to do with methodology than actual decline?
Perhaps because we move rapidly through the woods rather than using a point
count as was done in 2001, or maybe we just are not out early enough to
catch Ovenbirds singing on territory?  Perhaps it is just random variation
in our area?   We see this year to year and over long periods with some
species.  I guess time and ongoing study will answer the question.

Haans