From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2012 19:03:14 +0000
As Jen Brumfield reported earlier, the Magee Marsh area today had only fair numbers but good diversity. I was out at dawn at Magee and numbers were very low at first, as often happens, but things picked up considerably by 8:00. Numbers of Yellow-rumped Warblers were down from yesterday, numbers of Yellow Warblers and White-crowned Sparrows were way up, and there were good numbers of Tennessee, Nashville, and Black-throated Green warblers, plus others including Blackburnian, Cape May, and Blue-winged. Orioles were conspicuously common, many Eastern Kingbirds and hundreds of Blue Jays were on the move, and a few Bobolinks came over along the lake shore. A very cooperative Prairie Warbler was enjoyed by dozens of birders for an extended period near the east end of the boardwalk. By 1 p.m., at least 21 warbler species had been found at Magee.

Early this morning, Forrest Rowland had good numbers and variety of migrants around the edge of the Lodge parking lot at Maumee Bay State Park, and Michael Godfrey reported similarly good results in the woods at East Harbor State Park, so it appears that the migrants were more concentrated near the lakeshore today than they were yesterday.

It still appears that tomorrow morning also will be very good in n.w. Ohio. At this point, looking at the weather forecast for the overnight hours, it's not clear whether we will have another day of moderate numbers and good diversity, or a day when the diversity is enhanced by large numbers, but I'm thinking it may be the latter.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio