From:
"Lapitan, Nina" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lapitan, Nina
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 09:30:53 -0700
Aullwood Audubon Center and Farm staff and volunteers went Bird-A-Thoning on May 2.  Some notable sightings for our group:

Quarry on right-hand side before you get to Spring Valley Wildlife Area in Warren County.

 *   Horned Grebe, Osprey, Yellow Warbler, Orchard Oriole, Baltimore Oriole, Cliff Swallow, Bank Swallow, Tree Swallow, Gray Catbird

At Spring Valley on the hike down and at Boardwalk

 *   Sora, Warbling Vireo, Blue headed Vireo, Yellow throated Vireo, Common Yellow Throat Yellow Warbler, Northern Parula, White Crown Sparrow, White Throated Sparrow, Lawrence's Warbler hybrid, male - singing in a tree on the right hand side of the boardwalk about 1/3 of the way toward the observation tower.  Of course no one had a camera as we were traveling fast and light .... Four of us got good looks at this bird before he flew off to the trees on the edge of the marsh.   This bird was seen approximately between 8:30 - 9 a.m.  Would really like to know the records for this bird in Ohio if someone could email me at [log in to unmask]

 *

On the lake side end of Spring Valley along paved bike trail (walk around lake and cross on left through bush honeysuckle to paved bike trail.  )

 *   Scarlet Tanager, Summer Tanager, Yellow Throated Warbler, Prothonotory Warbler, Black Throated Blue Warbler, Black Throated Green Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Chestnut Sided Warbler

At Oak Quarry Park in Greene County (at the 235 exit off 675 - entrance to park is on the left shortly after getting off the exit, assuming that you are heading toward Yellow Springs - away from Fairborn on 235)

 *   Multiple Prairie Warbler males and a Lark Sparrow.  The Lark Sparrow was found in a scrubby open area near some wet pools that are drying out, before you get to the actual quarry area.  He was up in one of the taller trees growing on a rock/gravelish pile and then flew down to feed on the ground.  He was close enough to ID positively with binocs and we also watched him in the scope for a good 10 minutes.  You can get to him by following either trail to the right or left as both open up into this area.  Prairie warblers can also be found to the right or left side.  There were at least 3 individual birds singing yesterday.  We saw these birds around 11:30 a.m.

Nina Lapitan

Aullwood Audubon Center and Farm

1000 Aullwood Road

Dayton, OH  45414