Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 18:27:21 -0400

I spent this morning  working my way around several areas at the Hoover
Nature Preserve monitoring the  PROW nest box trail. Activity is picking up and
the first female PROWs are back  on territory. This caused the males to
puff their egos, perch and sing their  lungs out. The females were only
somewhat impressed. Likely they were more  interested in feeding after their
red-eye special north last night. A few though  acted like it was an episode of “
Bachelorette” and put the males to the task. I  had several individuals land
and immediately be surrounded by multiple  suitors.
I observed one male  that really has my curiosity in high gear. He is a
male that has been banded and  the band looks very much like the ones we used
in 2004. This is 8 years later  and I did not expect to see any of the birds
we banded again. Could this  possibly be one of the adults or hatchlings we
banded? I’ll have to keep an eye  out for him and chase down our old banding
records for the color codes and  locations.
There was a nice mix  of warblers on the preserve including Black & White,
Nashville, Tennessee  Warbler, Northern Parula, Yellow , Yellow-rumped
Warbler, Black-throated Green ,  Yellow-throated , Palm , Louisiana Waterthrush ,
Common Yellowthroat and  Prothonotary Warbler.
The  Bald Eagles are doing well and are feeding hatchlings whose appetites
resemble  teenage boys loose in the refrigerator.
Charlie  Bombaci