From:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glen Crippen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2012 10:28:24 -0400
As some readers of this list are aware - Morgan County in SE Ohio is
sparsely populated and contains vast mature forests fragmented by farms and
other cleared properties.  The majority of Burr Oak Lake (or reservoir)
exists in the southeast portions of the county.  The entire north end of
Burr Oak over the past 5 years has been inundated with lotus plants, and
this plant has literally consumed several square miles of lake.  This area
has exhibited excellent dabbling duck, wader and shorebird habitat, but if
one desires to glimpse into this area now, you have to check it out before
the lotus takes over.  I did just that last night and set the scope far into
an area that in a couple weeks will be invisible until late fall.  This same
exact area has hosted Glossy ibis, night herons, and 4 tern species in the
past during migration.  Last night I found a very vocal and mobile American
Wigeon drake calling incessantly as it weaved in and out of the vegetation
in this area. A Solitary sandpiper made its lonesome way around this same
water's edge.  Then, 24 cormorants flew in and tried to land in some massive
oak trees that hang over the water.  Some were successful, some were not and
the rest moved on.  This is the largest group of this species I have seen in
these parts, with my previous high being 11 in 2008.  Not a common species
here.  A distant thunderstorm rolling in and  an otherwise very calm
atmosphere (low atmospheric pressure) made for unique ability to hear this
wigeon calling. As I started to drive away, I spooked 12 Spotted sandpipers
off the rocky shoreline.

Most local breeders (not all) are back on territory and setting up shop.
Hooded and Kentucky warbler, Worm-eating, White-eyed Vireo, Common
yellowthroat, Cerulean.  I have yet to hear a chat though - they should be
here soon.  Blue-winged and Prairie warbler have already become quiet where
as last week they were both singing all the time.  Both of these species
nest on the property here.  Song sparrows, phoebes and bluebird babies are
ready to leave the nest.

Glen Crippen

Burr Oak Lake