From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2012 14:02:09 -0400
I hustled around these two parks, as well as a few nearby areas around Canal Winchester, and found a good mix of migrants & residents setting up shop in the mostly leafed-out woods. I hiked the 5-Oaks-Maple Loop at Slate Run and the Ridge Trail at Chesnut Ridge.  Aside from a few exceptions, it was mostly a birding-by-ear morning.  There was no huge fallout, but the diversity was good in both parks.  Notables included:

Barred Owls - adults were foraging at Slate Run, while a recent fledgeling was begging at Chesnut Ridge

Hummingbirds - both parks had 1-2 hummers working over the wildflowers

Flycatchers - good numbers of Pewees & Acadians in the forest at each park.  Both also had 3-4 Cresteds and at least 1 Least in the mix, and Chesnut Ridge had 2-3 E.Kingbirds around its small fishing pond.  4-5 E.Phoebes were in the ravines at SlateRun.

Vireos - 12-15 Red-eyed in an hour at each park, plus 1-2 White-eyed.  Slate Run had 4 Yellow-throated around the 5-Oaks loop, while Chesnut Ridge had only 1 around its ridge trail loop

Thrushes - 14+ Wood Thrushes at Slate Run and 10+ at Chesnut Ridge, but no other migrant thrushes yet

Cedar Waxwings - the first small flocks of them were at Chesnut Ridge and nearby Slough Road

Warblers - good mix, with Slate Run having 15 species and Chesnut Ridge 12, including Yellows, Parulas, Nashvilles, Magnolias (3-4 at each), Chesnut-sided (3-4 at each), Black-thr.Blue (CR), Black-thr.Green, Yellow-throated, Yellow-rumped, AmRedstarts (2-3 at each), Black&Whites, Blue-winged (CR), Louisiana Waterthrushes (4 at SR), Ovenbirds, Kentuckies (4 at SR), Hooded (4 at CR, 1 at SR), Com.Yellowthroats (5-6 at each), Yellow-br.Chat (1 at SR).

Tanagers - 2-3 Scarlets were singing at each park, while Chesnut Ridge had a singing Summer Tanager along the Ridge Trail.

Buntings,Grosbeaks - lots of Indigo Buntings at both parks, but only ChesnutRidge had Rose-br.Grosbeaks (2-3).

Sparrows - nothing very unusual, but I didn't stop at the Slate Run Wetlands

Orioles - Baltimores were at both parks, while Chesnut Ridge had a singing Orchard near its fishing Lake