From:
Manon Van Schoyck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Manon Van Schoyck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2012 15:35:02 -0400
Ohio Nature Education held a photo workshop at Taft Reserve/William C.
Kraner Nature Center this morning. One of our participants Susan Moore and
another birdwatcher(Marge) reported MANY Bobolinks at the top of the hill
behind nature center. No Henslow's sparrows were heard today as reported by
Margaret Bowman earlier in the week.

There were Orchard Orioles up top also and Baltimore oriole heard in large
maple behind the center. There were remnants from last year's nest visible a
couple weeks ago in this tree. There are a pair of Eastern bluebirds
building a nest in a natural tree cavity in the dead snag between the ponds
again at the nature center. Some of our photo workshop participants got some
wonderful shots! Cedar waxwings were present also.

IF someone is in the area, using some discretion PLEASE, there is a nest on
the ground between the two outbuildings behind the nature center. There is a
stick in the ground to help locate the nest. It has 5 spotted eggs in it. At
first glance the adult looked like a Chipping sparrow but she moved off
pretty quickly. In doing some research however it states that chippies
rarely nest on the ground AND the color of the eggs is not correct. I would
greatly appreciate a positive identification on this nest and owner.

Make a day of it and visit Blackhand Gorge & the Dawes Arboretum!

Happy Birding!

Manon VanSchoyck

www.ohionature.org