OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2012 09:43:18 -0400
Prior to seeing Andy Avram's post late last night, I had already looked thru my photos, which can be provided, from the rainy day at Conneaut. Immediately, I knew I would have to eat crow on this one. Thank you to Andy for the way he did his post, just stating what he recorded while he was at The Sandspit, and not crushing my delicate, thin-skinned ego on The Listserve, as we have seen done to other birders who have made incorrect identification calls in the past. I have birded my entire life and am still learning everyday! I am glad Andy got to see the Wilson's Phalarope and for keeping me on my toes! Also, I am somewhat of a storyteller, so I totally enjoyed your Pelican and Phalarope tale from the past. For an interesting, confusing, identification adventure of Wilson's Phalarope, compare the Crossley, Sibley, and National Geographic Field Guides. In the National Geographic a male in breeding plumage is colorful and has grayish legs. In Sibley there is no image of a male in breeding plumage, but you would assume that he would be a duller version of the female.  All the pictures show yellowish legs, even though it is stated that the legs are darker on breeding birds. And now to the Crossley Field Guide, page 186, the bottom image looks just like yesterday's Conneaut bird. Adult male in breeding plumage, no flashy coloration, and almost black appearing legs, just like the Conneaut Phalarope. A little bit confusing? By the way, the Conneaut bird did show some light buff on each side of the neck. In the bird identification game there is always something new to learn.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County (not to proud to eat crow occasionally)