OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:51:50 -0400
Jeff Harvey, on a visit to Beaver Creek State Park in Columbiana County this morning, Father's Day; reported having some great bird sightings. He was there from about 8AM thru 10AM. His #1 highlight, and the reason he called me, was a family of Cerulean Warblers, unbelievably up close, at eye level. The location was near the swings on the approach to The Dogwood Trail Trailhead. He said the Ceruleans were calling and easily found. Some of the other birds of note were Kentucky Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, and at least two Brown Creepers. Winter Wrens have been reported from this area in past years. To anyone visiting this part of the park area, by the Iron Bridge over Little Beaver Creek, keep your eyes and ears open for maybe finding and confirming Fish Crow. The possibility of Fish Crow at this location was first brought to light last year by birder John Petrucci. Today, Jeff heard what sounded like a different crow call. Back in April, my wife Denise and I, from the bridge, saw a bigger blackish bird chasing a smaller blackish bird downstream and out of sight. No vocalizations! Maybe birder wishful thinking. Beaver Creek State Park is located in southeastern Columbiana County, north of the intersection of SR11 and SR7. When you reach the Beaver Local Schools follow the signs down into the park, cross the bridge, and take the drive to the left down to the creek bottom and go to the end of the road. If you decide to visit the park, be sure to stop by The Beaver Creek Wildlife Education Center, open from 2PM to 6PM, Saturday and Sunday. There are over three hundred bird and mammal mounts on display in natural settings.

Bob Lane