OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:29:23 -0400
This afternoon, Monday, about 5:30PM, I was surprised to see a female Common Merganser on Newells Run, about a half mile upstream from the Ohio River, by the little bridge on Northrup Lane, west of Newells Run Road (T19). For the next half hour, I followed her drifting downstream in hopes of finding some youngsters, with no success! At about 6PM, she floated under the Mud Lane Bridge (T443) over Newells Run. This location is just below The Beech Grove United Methodist Church at the corner of Newells Run Road. By 6:10PM she had joined a large family group of Canada Geese in the bay off the corner of a small camping trailer located on the peninsula, looking toward SR7 and the Ohio River. The Mud Lane Bridge viewing spot is in southeastern Washington County, below the town of Newport, and accessed off SR7 onto Newells Run Road. Common Merganser distribution in Ohio seems to be on the rise. The Summer of 2012 has had about ten family units on Little Beaver Creek in Columbiana County, possibly three family units on Yellow Creek in Jefferson County, one family unit at Conneaut Creek in Ashtabula County, and one family unit on The Grand River in Lake County. Hopefully this impressive, lone bird, is a sign of exciting things to come in Washington County.

Bob Lane (sent from "The Landings", Reno, Ohio)