OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:59:33 -0400
I stopped at a few areas around Hoover Reservoir's northwest shore, starting at Mudhen marsh before proceeding to Oxbow Island, Wiese Rd, Area I, and Char-Mar Reserve.  Generally, there were still lots of birds singing through almost 10 AM, after which the heat started to take its toll.  Very few waterbirds, and not much mudflat either, so the most interesting birds were away from the shore.  Highlights included:

Wood Duck - a flock of 40 at Char-Mar Pond was a high concentration even for that spot.
Green Heron - 1 was giving the nesting 'skow' call around the first bay at Oxbow Island.
Cooper's Hawk - 1 was flying through the forest at Char-Mar, which likely has a nesting pair.
Osprey - little activity around the Galena platforms, but an adult was being followed by a begging juvenile at Mudhen Marsh
Great Crested Flycatchers - good showing, with individuals at nearly every stop
Red-eyed Vireos - unusual near the shoreline here, but singers were on Oxbow Island and at Wiese Rd.
Wood Thrushes - unusually noticeable, with birds at Mudhen, Wiese, and Char-Mar
Prothonotary Warblers - the usual suspects were showing off at Oxbow (2) and Wiese
Black&White Warbler - a male was singing from a vine tangle at the base of Oxbow Island causeway
Louisiana Waterthrushes - a defensive pair was along the creek at Char-Mar, indicating a nest or fledgling nearby
Baltimore Orioles - adults were trailing youngsters at Mudhen, Oxbow, and Wiese.