OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 15:05:16 -0400
I just got back from a 2.5 hour float trip down Darby Creek from Georgesville to Darbydale.  Water level is still reasonable, so we didn't need to drag the canoes more than a few times.  The cool-ish temperatures made for an enjoyable trip and seemed to spur bird-song late in the morning.   The habitat is mixed riparian woods, with few sycamores and more silver maples & ash-leaved maples, along with a few meadows near the stream.  It's one of the best spots for riparian warblers in central Ohio, and today showed off why.  The highlights included:
Barred Owl - adult with 2 begging chicks in tow
Ruby-thr.Hummingbirds - at least 4
Woodpeckers - all the expected ones, though none in great numbers
Flycatchers - 6 E.WoodPewees, 14+ Acadians, 1 Phoebe, 5 Great Crested, and 2 E.Kingbirds
Swallows - only Rough-winged, but had 10 adults and 5 juveniles
Vireos - 4 Yellow-throated and 12 Red-eyed.  No Warbling, but cottonwoods are scattered here.
Thrushes - 6+ singing Wood Thrushes, but little else other than Robins and a few E.Bluebirds
Warblers - 3 Yellows (+ 2 fledglings), 10 Parulas, 11 Yellow-throated (+ 3 fledglings), 5 Common Yellowthroats, 1 Louisiana Waterthrush
Tanagers - only 2 Scarlets singing in the riverside woods
Buntings,Grosbeaks - 7-8 Indigo Buntings, but only 1 Rose-br.Grosbeak
Orioles - strangely absent, with only 1 Baltimore calling.