OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:17:41 -0400
Lakeside, Ohio is THE place to be the last weekend in September, for the Ohio Ornithological
Society’s Eighth Annual Conference and Shorebird Extravaganza, for both birds and birders.
Registration is now open for the Sept 28-30 event: www.ohiobirds.org.

Kevin Karlson, famed photographer and co-author of The Shorebird Guide,  is our Saturday
keynote speaker.  He’ll present a shorebird ID class on Saturday at Ottawa NWR, then lead an
afternoon group field trip at the refuge. On Sunday, he’ll present a small photography workshop
(limited space). Karlson’s new book, Visions: Earth’s Elements in Bird and Nature Photography, is
set to be released this summer. Plus, Friday evening, we’ll hear from a superb young birder, Lukas
Padegamis, who spent part of last summer volunteering with the Arctic Shorebird Network in
Alaska.

Keeping with the “shorebird” theme, OOS will have a Saturday night screening of the movie “Epic
Journeys: Tracking the Migrations of Shorebirds in the Western Hemisphere” by Shawn Carey and
Jim Grady. The monumental migration challenges faced by Red Knot, Piping Plover, and
Semipalmated Sandpiper are highlighted in this inspirational film.

Lakeside has a generous offer for OOS members attending the conference! Reserve a hotel room at
the Fountain Inn or Hotel Lakeside for $10 off the current rate per night for the weekend of
September 28-30. This is an “online only” reservation rate. Go to: http://www.lakesideohio.com /
and click the tab “Staying At Lakeside”.
Please enter the event code “shorebirds” in the field provided.

See the OOS website for registration details (www.ohiobirds.org).

Ann Oliver
Editor, The Cerulean Newsletter (quarterly publication of OOS)