OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
William Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:04:09 +0000
Hi all,

I spent some time on the western edge of Franklin county this morning, beginning with the Grain Elevator Wetlands at Batelle-Darby MP, then the Heritage Trail MP.  Darby had a nice assemblage of shorebirds, highlights being ten Semipalmated Plovers (previously reported) on the main pond, associating with Killdeer, Least Sandpipers, Semipalmated Sandpipers, and a Spotted Sandpiper; White-rumped Sandpipers were on the south shore of the main pond.  Dickcissels were abundant and singing on territories, as were Grasshopper Sparrows.  I couldn't track down the Black Tern reported yesterday, but there are a lot of hidden ponds back there that it could be hanging around.  eBird checklist with a few photos:

Afterwards I stopped at Heritage Trail MP.  I didn't have much time, so I walked straight down the path for the Bell's Vireos that are breeding there (see previous posts for specific directions, or email me off-list).  The male was singing loudly the entire time I watched them, and perched in the open quite a bit.  Sweet birds.  eBird checklist with photos of the male BEVI:

Good birding,
Alex Hughes