OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 12:06:27 -0400
This is a good time of year, and a great year, to look and listen for families of this elusive forest buteo in central Ohio.  In the last week, I've had family groups calling in many of the few areas close to Columbus where they nest.  This included:

-Blendon/Cherrybottom - this western corner of the park, and adjacent neighborhood, has had breeders in the past.  Two days ago, I had an adult & juvenile calling off Wyandotte Dr. in the neighborhood.

-Tanager Woods/StrawberryFarms - several people have now told me of calling birds north of Tanager Woods, a spot where they have bred often in the past. I hope to check it out later today or tomorrow.

-GahannaWoods/RathburnWoods - the area around these two parks in eastern Gahanna has had nesters sporadically.  An adult and juvenile were calling back & forth in Gahanna Woods this morning.

-northern Alum Lake - I had calling birds there last week,along the Maple Hollow Trail, that were likely an adult and juvenile

-InnisPark/MockPark - this is not a traditional spot, but there were calling birds at Bridgeview Golf Course, right between the two parks, just last week.  I had a calling bird at Innis earlier in the month, and the habitat is perfect.

-JerseyMillSt.,Pataskala - usually a pair sets up shop somewhere in the large woods north of this street.  This morning, 2 adults were hunting for a noisy calling juvenile where Courter St. meets JMS.

I have also checked the Rush Creek area in Worthington without success (and would welcome a double-check by someone living near there), but have heard one adult further down-creek near Antrum Lake.  I have not checked for the pair that uses Walhalla & Adena ravines; perhaps someone who lives around there has noted their calling recently.  Generally, Red-shoulders in central Ohio tend to like forested ravines near creekbottoms or swamps, preferably with a big frog colony nearby.  Other areas where they have nested in recent years include 3-Creeks Park, Slate Run MetroPark, and the TwinLakes/Rathbone area west of O'Shaughnessy Reservoir.  People visiting those areas should keep their eyes & ears open for these neat birds.