OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 13:02:09 -0400
I went down to Kendall Lake in the CVNP this morning in part to look for the Prairie Warbler that Bill Osborne discovered about 10 days ago. For the second time I struck out on that bird but ended up with 58 species, while hiking the Kendall Lake Trail over to Little Meadow and on to the little loop of the Salt Run Trail.
I had eight warbler species including two Louisiana Waterthrush who were chipping and bobbing constantly on territory in a hemlock ravine on the Salt Run Trail, single Cerulean and Pine Warblers, seven Ovenbirds,  and 11 Red-eyed Vireos.
Over the last few days many species have become more quiet and therefore seem less numerous than they were a week or two ago presumably because they are busy feeding fledglings, but it was a lovely and quite birdy morning in the valley. Full species list follows.
Patrick Coy, Peninsula, OH
58

Canada Goose Branta canadensis

2

Mallard Anas platyrhynchos

1

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

2

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

1

Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis

1

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

1

Rock Pigeon Columba livia

2

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

1

Yellow-billed Cuckoo Coccyzus americanus

2

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

1

Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon

2

Red-bellied Woodpecker Melanerpes carolinus

1

Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens

1

Pileated Woodpecker Dryocopus pileatus

1

Eastern Wood-Pewee Contopus virens

3

Acadian Flycatcher Empidonax virescens

3

Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe

3

Great Crested Flycatcher Myiarchus crinitus

4

Eastern Kingbird Tyrannus tyrannus

3

Warbling Vireo Vireo gilvus

11

Red-eyed Vireo Vireo olivaceus

3

Blue Jay Cyanocitta cristata

8

American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos

2

Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis

4

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

2

Black-capped Chickadee Poecile atricapillus

2

Tufted Titmouse Baeolophus bicolor

8

White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis

2

Eastern Bluebird Sialia sialis

8

American Robin Turdus migratorius

4

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

9

Cedar Waxwing Bombycilla cedrorum

7

Ovenbird Seiurus aurocapilla

2

Louisiana Waterthrush Parkesia motacilla

2

Blue-winged Warbler Vermivora cyanoptera

4

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

6

Hooded Warbler Setophaga citrina