OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
H Thomas Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2012 17:29:19 -0400
Spent the morning on North Bass Island with researchers from Stone
Lab.  Much of the island is an undeveloped state park.

Below is a census of what we had while there from 0700 to noon.  Most of
the time was spent on the south and east side of the island in and around
the vineyards and grasslands.  This the area between Kenny Road and
Peeple Road south of Tuhan Road and southeast to Honey Point.  It was
somewhat windy and very warm so few
birds seemed to be singing.  50 species were observed.  Some numbers
are estimates.

This island could have a lot of birding potential if it is properly
managed in the future.
The grassland habitat could easily harbor more grassland species and
numbers than we found.  The Dickcissels and Henslow's Sparrow were
somewhat of a surprise but the habitat is currently there.  Sedge
Wrens could easily be possible as well.  We didn't spend much time in
the woodlots.

23   Mallard
52   Double-crested Cormorant
14   Great Blue Heron