OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2012 22:50:40 -0400
Earlier today I posted the message below on West Virginia Birds. On my drive back from the West Virginia side of the Ohio River to The Landings RV Park in Washington County, where I stay during the week, I could also see the terns from SR7 on the Ohio side, flying over the West Virginia portion of the Ohio River, just upstream of The Willow Island Locks And Dam. Here was my previous posting; "At about 6PM, today, Thursday, skimming the surface over the Ohio River opposite the mouth of French Creek, and just upstream of Broadback Island, in Pleasants County, were what, to me, appeared to be four Forster's Terns. They were to far away to hear any vocalizations. Common Tern is the other possiblity, but definitely "sterna forsteri" or "sterna hirundo". They were working their way downstream toward the Willow Island Dam. Birders in Williamstown in West Virginia, and Marietta in Ohio, should be keeping an eye out for these fun to watch acrobatic aerialists."

Bob Lane (back home in Damascus, Mahoning County, for the weekend)