OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:22:26 -0400
Yesterday, Friday morning, about 9AM, my wife Denise and I returned to the reclaimed strip mine area northeast of the town of Elkton. At two locations, about a half mile west, and a quarter mile south, of the intersection of Lusk-Lock Road and Fairmont Road we found no less than five male Dickcissels. As I had mentioned in a previous post, the excitement is that we had never recorded Dickcissels in Columbiana County prior to last weekend, and we have been birding this site for the past twenty years. One male on Fairmont Road was very cooperative, allowing great photos. He constantly returned to the top of one of two flowering sumac bushes on the south edge of the road, always with food, that he was delivering down into the grass. Look for the only two sumac bushes with the bright red flower heads, backdropped by the high tension towers. Numerous Grasshopper Sparrows can be found along with Savannah Sparrows, Horned Larks, Eastern Kingbirds, American Kestrels, Bobolinks, Eastern Meadowlarks, and lots of Turkey Vultures.

Bob Lane / Mahoning County