OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2012 15:31:26 -0400

2012-06-02  Hoover Nature Preserve
This  morning we launched the SS Hoover with Captain Shaune Skinner at the
helm. We  were joined by Andy Schneider and the three of us had as a primary
goal to  locate Prothonotary Warbler territories by boat that I would not
be able to by  land. The other birds were pure gravy for us although we were
heavy on the gravy  today. We covered areas along Big Walnut Creek and
Little Walnut Creek locating  25 new Prothonotary Warbler territories. Some of
the male Prothonotaries came in  close and provided us with terrific views. To
date it looks to be an excellent  year for the Prothonotaries at Hoover
Reservoir.
In  the gravy department we tallied 57 species. The list was highlighted by
watching  one adult Bald eagle on the nest and the second soaring overhead
and then  landing close to the nest. It appeared that the adult on the nest
was occupied  with feeding chores.  We observed  5-6 Ospreys at different
areas including the pair at Platform #2 at Area M, a  pair near White-tailed
Deer Island and several single birds as we sailed along.  Could there be a
third nest lurking on Hoover this year? Overhead we counted 3  Broad-winged
Hawks and 2 Red-shouldered Hawks.
Waterfowl  included 6 male Wood Ducks. Great Blue Heron numbers were lower
than expected  but we managed to locate 4 Green Herons.
Shaune  was pleased when one of the two Yellow-billed Cuckoos we located
was cooperative  and provided us with excellent views out in the open. When it
tucked back into  the greenery I did my take on a Yellow-billed Cuckoo
call. It brought the cuckoo  back into the open but some nearby fishermen
probably thought that I completely  lost it.
We  located 4 separate Red-headed Woodpecker nest sites in the Area N area
to go  along with the additional site I located earlier in an area far from
the creek.  They seem to be having a very good year at the preserve.
Cliff  Swallow numbers are good under the bridge on Old 3-C Highway as it
enters Galena  Square. We estimated the current number at about 25-30. The
colony is building  back up after the old bridge was torn down and replaced
just a couple of years  ago.
In  addition to the Prothonotary Warblers we only located 3-4 Northern
Parula on  territory and we heard but one Yellow Warbler. The latter wasn’t
unexpected as  the habitat is really not right for them along the two creeks. I
was surprised  not to find any Yellow-throated Warblers or Louisiana
Waterthrush. Both are  usually present along Big Walnut Creek.
Baltimore  Orioles were abundant and their colors were rich when they
perched in the  sunlight.
It  was really nice weather to sail in, especially after the brutal heat of
last  weekend. Shaune and Andy made for great company while leisurely
birding by boat.  A complete list of the birds located by boat today  follows.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover  Nature Preserve, Delaware County
SPECIES  LIST
Double-crested  Cormorant
Great  Blue Heron
Green  Heron