OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Hurtado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2012 16:32:15 -0400
Hello,

I visited the previously reported Bell's Vireos this morning to get
some recordings, and found 2 singing males at 2 different locations
(see below for details), one of them visiting an active nest with
another bird (presumably the female of the pair).  3 Bell's!

Link to recordings of 2 different individuals:
http://soundcloud.com/paul-j-hurtado/sets/eastern-bells-vireo-2june2012

and an Orchard Oriol that was in the area:
http://soundcloud.com/paul-j-hurtado/sets/orchard-oriole-2june2012

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S10899230

I normally wouldn't post specific directions to an active nest like
this, but this nest is right on the trail and really easy to disturb
if you don't know it's there and are standing watching or listening to
the birds. Moreover, this is a REALLY busy trail, so they're used to
walkers, joggers, and cyclists passing by (though probably not
stopping and staring at their nest!).  If you go looking, remember to
PLEASE GIVE THESE BIRDS SOME DISTANCE. That of course means no
playbacks, and to be patient if you want to get a look at them.

Bird #1 (more northerly of the two) is singing just north of where
someone has mowed a path leading east through the vegetation.  A few
hundred yards north of the 2 mile marker.  Not sure if this bird is
paired up and nesting, but he sure acts like it.  I didn't try to
locate any nests to avoid disturbing the bird(s).  Again, keep a safe
distance and don't linger too long.

Bird #2 is nesting right across from nest box #10 about 3 feet above
ground.  PLEASE AVOID DISTURBING THIS NEST!  Wouldn't it be great to
come see a bunch of little fledglings in a few weeks?? :)  This nest
box is on the west side of the trail south of the 2 mile marker, about
mid way between 2 cottonwoods on the west side of the trail.  The nest
box number is on the opposite side, so when checking nest boxes for
numbers do be sure to avoid disturbing those birds too.

Good birding,
Paul Hurtado