OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:02:37 -0400
We have been at The Conneaut Sandspit in Ashtabula County, since 8:45AM this morning. The constant hard rain and wind has not let up, fortunately the temperature is 60 degrees. It is definitely a Conneaut shorebird day with 11 species recorded so far. New birds for the year for us are a single Red-necked Phalarope and 4 Red Knots (no leg tags). The other shorebirds present are 11 Ruddy Turnstones in glorious breeding plumage, 1 White-rumped Sandpiper, 300+ Semipalmated Sandpipers, 60+ Semipalmated Plovers, 40+ Dunlins, 6 Spotted Sandpipers, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, and 12 Killdeer. The Conneaut Mystery Gull is still here hanging out by itself today. If it is a pygmy variety of Great Black-backed Gull as some have suggested, why does it not hang out with the 4 juvenile Great Black-backed Gulls that are presently here? It is now 10:50AM Friday. If anything new of interest shows up, we will do an additional post. A note of possible concern, The Port Authority erected a gate with a ROAD CLOSED sisn on it, this morning, at the end of the pavement. Hopefully it stays open!

Bob and Denise Lane / Mahoning County