OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 05:12:55 -0400
We took a family trip over to see the orchids at Cedar Bog (near Urbana, Champaign County), and we were not disappointed with the large numbers of Showy Lady's Slippers and Grass Pinks.  The unusual fen, white cedar, and swamp forest habitats also had a good number of birds.  We spent around an hour and a half hiking the trails, and I'll give a complete list, since there aren't many reports from this location:

Turkey Vultures
American Kestrel - 1 along entrance road
Barred Owls - pair calling in white cedar copse
Yellow-billed Cuckoo - 1 singing
Ruby-thr.Hummingbirds - 2
Red-bellied Woodpeckers
Downy Woodpeckers - 3 + nest
Yellow-shafted Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
E.Wood Pewee - 2
Acadian Flycatcher - 3
Willow Flycatcher - 2
Great Crested Flycatcher
E. Kingbird - 1
Tree Swallow - 2
White-eyed Vireos - 3
Red-eyed Vireo - 1
Blue Jay
Common Crow - 2
Carolina Chickadees
Tufted Titmice
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Wood Thrush - 2 singing in streamside woods
American Robin
Gray Catbird - 3
Cedar Waxwings
Yellow Warbler - 1 defensive pair
Parula Warbler
Common Yellowthroat - 4
Yellow-breasted Chat -
Indigo Bunting - 3 singing
Rose-br. Grosbeak - 1 singing along fen edge
Cardinals
E. Towhee
Chipping Sparrows
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrows
Redwing Blackbird
Common Grackles - 6+
Brown-headed Cowbirds
Orchard Oriole - 1 singing around fen and savannah
American Goldfinches
House Sparrows

The area is rich with different habitats, and we saw greater plant variety in 1 hour than almost any other site I've seen in glaciated Ohio.  If the preserve had another trail to touch on some of its upland forest and prairie habitats (it has only about 100 of its 400 acres accessible), it would be an extraordinary destination wildlife spot.