OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
Rebecca Hinkle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 19:03:20 +0000
While at a birding event I was visiting with a rehab center that had a different species of woodpecker.  As part of her presentation about the bird she would hold a bowl of sugar water next to the cage, it was a treat for the bird only during educational programs.  The bird would extend its tongue out to get a bit of sugar water.  I was surprised at the use of sugar water but she said it was not unusual.

By the way, I think everyone needs to see this demonstrated.  It is one thing to know a woodpecker has a long tongue, it is completely different to see it fully extended.

Rebecca Hinkle