OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jay lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:14:28 -0400
After the Chuck-wills-widow at The Edge, I arrived at Shawnee SF about 5:00
am just as the eastern sky started to lighten.  Whip-poor-wills were
fantastic with a total of at least eight singing, one along Rt 125 by the
entry road to the lodge and seven on gravel forest road 14 off of paved
Odle Creek Road between the bridge at the entry to road 14 and the third
bridge on road 14 (not counting bridge at entry).  My first "in your face"
Whip, which flew out of a tree and almost in my face to investigate my
presence on his territory where I was standing in the middle of road 14
while calling with a single "chuck" or "whip" note but then continued back
in the trees with the rapid, continuous, repetitive and very loud at close
range "Whip-poor-will".

A single Ruffed Grouse graced my presence along forrest road 1 just beyond
the intersection of forest roads 14 (gravel) & 1 (paved) and on forest road
1 beyond (toward Boy Scout Camp) the sharp turn downhill of forest road 1.
The Ruffed Grouse was on the side of road 1 just after a crest of the first
hill after road 14, and it flew into Tulip Poplar posing briefly on a
horizontal branch before disappearing almost ghost-like.

Plenty of breeding warblers without specifically trying, Ovenbird,
Blue-winged, Hooded, Kentucky, Louisiana Waterthrush, Yellow-breasted Chat,
Black & White, Am. Redstart, Cerulean, Prairie, Common Yellowthroat,
Yellow, and Yellow-throated.  Did not look for N. Parula and Worm-eating.

Jay Lehman, Cincinnati, sent from DROID