OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:32:50 -0400
A bird hike this morning on Langes Run and Wetmore Trails in the CVNP with Karin Tanquist, Cheri Rose and Tom Werner resulted in 41 species total. Langes Run has long been a good spot for Cerulean Warbler but today was most impressive with eight of them. Also had 16 Hooded Warbler and 6 Ovenbird. We had six warbler species total, and three thrush species.  It was a birdy hike on a beautiful Sunday morning. Complete list follows.

-Patrick Coy
Peninsula, OH

1

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

1

Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus

1

American Woodcock Scolopax minor

2

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

1

Barred Owl Strix varia

2

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

5

Red-bellied Woodpecker Melanerpes carolinus

2

Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens

1

Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus

8

Eastern Wood-Pewee Contopus virens

12

Acadian Flycatcher Empidonax virescens

1

Great Crested Flycatcher Myiarchus crinitus

6

Red-eyed Vireo Vireo olivaceus

3

Blue Jay Cyanocitta cristata

2

American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos

2

Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis

4

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

7

Black-capped Chickadee Poecile atricapillus

6

White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis

4

Veery Catharus fuscescens

3

Hermit Thrush Catharus guttatus

8

Wood Thrush Hylocichla mustelina

6

American Robin Turdus migratorius

6

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

2

Cedar Waxwing Bombycilla cedrorum

6

Ovenbird Seiurus aurocapilla

3

Blue-winged Warbler Vermivora cyanoptera

9

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

16

Hooded Warbler Setophaga citrina

8

Cerulean Warbler Setophaga cerulea

2

Chestnut-sided Warbler Setophaga pensylvanica

7

Eastern Towhee Pipilo erythrophthalmus

4

Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina

7

Field Sparrow Spizella pusilla

9

Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia

4

Scarlet Tanager Piranga olivacea

12

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

4

Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea

6

4

Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula

6

American Goldfinch Spinus tristis

Patrick G. Coy
Professor, and Director
Center for Applied Conflict Management
Kent State University
http://www.kent.edu/cacm/faculty/~pcoy/

Editor, Research in Social Movements, Conflicts and Change
http://www.emeraldinsight.com/products/books/series.htm?id=0163-786X