OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
Sandra Buckles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Buckles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2012 11:27:32 -0400
Saturday,
June 23, 2012 – 3:00-5:00 PM

“The Musical Elements of Birdsong and how they can help your
bird song identification skills”

Lisa Rainsong,
Cleveland Institute of Music

Learning bird songs can feel a little overwhelming at times
– especially when several different species are singing in the same area at the
same time! Bird song is music, and the techniques used in ear training and
music appreciation classes can provide valuable tools for identification of
avian musicians and their repertoire. Lisa Rainsong will help you sort out the
singers and their songs through an approach that can be applied to many of the
birds we hear. Lisa Rainsong's musical life integrates composition, education,
vocal performance, and natural history. She is a member of the Music Theory
faculty of The Cleveland Institute of Music, where she teaches undergraduate
and graduate course in music theory and ear training. Lisa holds a Doctor of
Musical Arts in Composition from CIM and is also a professional singer who
performs as both a soprano soloist and as a choral musician, singing with
ensembles including Quire Cleveland, and the chorus of Apollo’s Fire. She
earned a Naturalist Certificate from the Cleveland Museum of Natural History
and now teaches classes on bird song and insect song identification throughout
Northeast Ohio.

Sandy Buckles, M. S.
Education Chair
Audubon Society of Greater Cleveland
www.clevelandaudubon.org

"We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards that those who follow us may see our mark on the land was one of respect and love....."( From a trail marker at Settler's Cove, near Ketchikan , Alaska.)
Robert B. Oetting