OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
"Coy, Patrick G." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Coy, Patrick G.
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:12:10 -0400
        I hiked Langes Run Trail this morning in the CVNP and was rewarded with 43 species. Highlights were a single Worm-eating Warbler, 3 Cerulean Warblers, 8 Hooded Warblers and a female Turkey with six young. It was cold and windy with temps in the high 50s and wind gusts to 25 mph.
        The Turkey was sitting on and warming the young right along the trail. She rose and ran off clucking noisily when I nearly walked right into her, startling me nearly as much as I suspect I did her. One chick "flew" weakly about 20 feet away but the other five youngsters lay perfectly still and therefore also perfectly camouflaged among the leaf litter even though they about 8ft away from me and in my clear view. The only thing moving was their eyelids.
        The Worm-eating Warbler (which I think Bill Osborne first found at this location a few years ago) was singing lustily on the wooded slope right along Langes Run Trail about 200 ft below where the trail crosses Wetmore Road.
        On Sunday June 10 I posted results from a longer bird hike on Langes Run and part of the Wetmore Loop Trail (I didn't hike Wetmore today). One of the reasons why I hiked this area again today was because that had been such a birdy hike on Sunday and to confirm some totals. I listed 8 Cerulean and 16 Hooded Warbler for June 10. Overall today there were fewer birds active and singing this morning due in part I suspect to the cold and the wind as it was gusting to 20-25 mph. But today I also paid closer attention to topography and I now think I over-counted those two species due to the twists and turns in some of the ravines. Thus I have changed those totals from the June 10 walk to 5 Cerulean Warbler and 12 Hooded Warbler. In any event, it was another great morning to be out and about in the CVNP! Full listing follows.

-Patrick Coy
Peninsula, OH

7        Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo
1       Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
1       Barred Owl Strix varia
1       Red-bellied Woodpecker Melanerpes carolinus
2       Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens
1       Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
1       Pileated Woodpecker Dryocopus pileatus
7       Eastern Wood-Pewee Contopus virens
8       Acadian Flycatcher Empidonax virescens
1       Eastern Phoebe Sayornis phoebe
9       Red-eyed Vireo Vireo olivaceus
3       Blue Jay Cyanocitta cristata
4       American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
5       Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis
2       Tree Swallow Tachycineta bicolor
3       Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica
5       Black-capped Chickadee Poecile atricapillus
9       Tufted Titmouse Baeolophus bicolor
4       White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
2       Eastern Bluebird Sialia sialis
2       Veery Catharus fuscescens
3       Wood Thrush Hylocichla mustelina
6       American Robin Turdus migratorius
4       Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis
13      European Starling Sturnus vulgaris
3       Ovenbird Seiurus aurocapilla
1       Worm-eating Warbler Helmitheros vermivorum
2       Blue-winged Warbler Vermivora cyanoptera
6       Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas
8       Hooded Warbler Setophaga citrina
3       Cerulean Warbler Setophaga cerulea
2       Yellow Warbler Setophaga petechia
9       Eastern Towhee Pipilo erythrophthalmus
2       Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina
7       Field Sparrow Spizella pusilla
8       Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
2       Scarlet Tanager Piranga olivacea
14      Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis
3       Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea
11      Red-winged Blackbird Agelaius phoeniceus
4       Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater
2       Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula
3       American Goldfinch Spinus tristis
2       House Sparrow Passer domesticus