OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
"Shrader, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Shrader, John
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2012 19:34:29 +0000
This morning, June 16, 2012, we saw/heard at least five Eurasian Collared-Doves in the small town of Port William in extreme northern Clinton County (north of Wilmington), and one more along Gallmore Rd. about 1.5 miles east of the town.  These birds were first found by Larry Early who lives in Port William, and reported to my wife, Karen, by co-worker, Jill Early.  The birds were very vocal, and we heard at least three calling at once.  They appear to be colonizing this town.  Interestingly, there are some very large grain elevators in town, just like in Celina in western Ohio.  Multiple photos taken.

eBird Report

Port William, Clinton County, OH, Clinton, US-OH

Jun 16, 2012 9:45 AM - 11:45 AM

Protocol: Traveling 0.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Port William, Clinton County, OH  (DeLorme Ohio 4th ed., 1995, p. 66, D2)

TIME:  0945 - 1145
CONDTIONS:  Clear, with a few cirrus clouds moving in, T 79 - 82F, wind SE 7-10, humidity 58%

COVERAGE:  About 0.5 mile walking starting at Main St. (SR134) and 3rd St. (parked behind the church), south of Main to Walnut St., south to the creek (Anderson Fork) and the grain elevators, then back on the north side along Mulberry St.

NOTES about the Eurasian Collared-Dove:  The block between 3rd and Ellis, Main and Walnut has a lot of older large maples and this area seemed to be the epicenter of the ECDO population.  Birds were first heard and identified recently by Larry Early near the church along Main St., and then reported by Jill Early (a co-worker) to Karen Shrader.

MAMMALS:  Eastern Gray Squirrel - 10

OO:  Karen A. Shrader

24 species

Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  2
Rock Pigeon (Columba livia)  3
Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)  5     At t least three individuals seen and two more heard in "downtown" Port William, and one more along Gallmore Rd  1.5 miles east of Port William; photos taken; multiple birds were calling at once, and like other ECDOs we seen in the USA and around the world, they were very vocal, even during mid-morning.
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  40
Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica)  10
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  2
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  5
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  3
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  5
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)  2
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  2
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  5
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  20
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  30
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  10
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea)  2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  1
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  20
House Finch (Carpodacus mexicanus)  10
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  2
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  25

**KHN Confidentiality Notice**
This message and the accompanying document or attachments may contain information which is privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, discuss, disclose, copy, or distribute the contents of this message.

If you have received this information in error, please immediately contact the Kettering Health Network representative whose number is listed on the message and destroy all evidence of this correspondence.