OHIO-BIRDS Archives

June 2012

From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:49:28 -0700
Sorry for the late post, but we were watching Nik Wallenda cross Niagara Falls last night.

Thanks to Patrick Coy's directions, we were able to find the Worm-eating Warbler on Langes Run Trail in the CVNP Friday morning.  If you drive up Wetmore Road from Akron Peninsula Road you first come to a large parking area for Wetmore Trail Head.  Drive about another half to three-quarters of a mile and you will find a small area on the right side of the road to park a few cars.  Follow the trail down into the ravine on the same side as the parking area.  As you descend, you come to a tree with ~10 inch diameter trunk on the right hand side of the trail that has a large saw cut facing the trail.  It is an old cut about 3 feet off the ground that is blackened over.  This is the area where we heard and saw the warbler.

We picked up the Worm-eating by song first.  It was so insect-like, we thought it actually was an insect at first.  I've heard tons of Chipping Sparrows and there's no way this warbler sounded anything like any Chipping I've ever heard.  Determined to actually see the bird, we spent about two hours (not continuous) looking for it.  It sang almost the whole time we were there from various directions but we couldn't pick up any movement visually for quite a while.  We did finally get a couple glimpses of its buff-white belly and flesh-colored legs, but never saw the top of its head.  It never came lower than 40 feet in height.  I have a dictionary-size book from 1980 on North American birds by John K. Terres which says about the Worm-eating Warbler, "male sings while perched 10-20 ft. above ground or from ground."  Guess I need to get a new book.  Also found lots of conflicting info on-line about singing height, of course.

By the way, before I was even aware of the warbler, I went about 15 feet beyond the previously mentioned tree, looked up about 30 feet into a tree on the other side of the trail directly opposite the first tree and saw a hummingbird sitting on a nest on a small horizontal branch.  How I ever found that tiny nest, I'll never know!

John and Ann Edwards
Rocky River
Cuyahoga County