OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2012 20:26:22 -0400
I made a wide arc through southern Franklin (and part of north Pickaway) County, starting around Lockbourne, then stopping at Mackey Ford, before traveling over to Darby Creek and visiting Pleasant Valley, Grassle Road, the Georgesville Rd Wildlife Area, Cedar Ridge, and the (Silo) wetlands.  The wetlands still had lots of water, but I couldn't relocate Irina's Western Sandpiper.  Nothing else extraordinary, but the temperature wasn't too hot and the birds were cooperative.  I totaled 72 species in 4 hours, with notables:

Sandpipers:  the wetland held 15 Kildeer, 2 Solitary, 4 Pectoral, 2 Least Sandpipers, and 8 Lesser Yellowlegs
Cuckoos: Yellow-billed were calling at several locations, including MackeyFord, Pleasant Valley, and the GVR Wildlife Area
Pileated Woodpeckers - some movemnet going on, with birds in unusual places, including a pair at Lockbourne and 1 at Grassle Rd
Willow Flycatchers - still present at many locations, including 3 at Pleasant Valley and 2-3 at Mackey Ford
Swallows =- no big flocks anywhere, but steady numbers of Barn and Rough-wings at most stops.  3 Banks were at the (silo)wetlands, and 5 Purple Martins were over the GVR Wildlife Area.
White-eyed Vireo - 1 was singing at GVR Wildlife Area, a reliable spot for them
Yellow Warblers - 1-2 at nearly every stop, and not all migrants.  3 were singing at Pleasant Valley.
Louisiana Waterthrush - 1 was along Darby Creek at Cedar Ridge, either a late resident or early migrant
Henslow's Sparrow - 1 confused bird was calling in the field west of the GVR Wildife Area Parking lot...at 1 PM no less
Grasshopper Sparrows - still 3 singing around the entry trail to the (silo) wetland
Common Grackles - a flock of 160+ was foraging through the riparian woods at Mackey Ford, the first big flock I've had this season
Orioles - a Baltimore was calling at Lockbourne, while a female Orchard was still around Pleasant Valley (where they bred).