OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Stenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:20:43 -0400
As Bill Whan and others have pointed out, the post breeding dispersal of Little Blue Herons (and other long-legged waders) currently being reported around Ohio and neighboring states has certainly been impressive this season. On Saturday July 28th, Hamilton County added 3 immature Little Blue Herons and another immature Snowy Egret to Ohio's growing list.

Jack Stenger and I, while co-leading a local Audubon Society evening field trip, found 3 immature Little Blue Herons and 1 immature Snowy Egret along the Great Miami River just north of Lost Bridge (Lawrenceburg Road). This spot is located in extreme southwestern Hamilton County about 2 miles north of Shawnee Lookout Park (a Hamilton County Park property). We first saw the birds around 3:30 PM and they were still present around 8:00 PM. when we watched them fly down river (towards the Oxbow).

Just yesterday (Friday, July 27th) David Brinkman found and reported two Snowy Egrets from this same location.

Jay Stenger

Cincinnati, Ohio