OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:00:17 -0400

Today  Jim Fry and I checked on the shorebird activity at the north end of
Hoover  Reservoir. We ran into several other birders that we know who were
also on the  lookout for new fallout from the fall migration. The mudflats
are getting very  extensive at the two sites we checked, the boardwalk at Area
M and the mudflats  off Pelican Island. Overall numbers of individuals were
respectable and the  variety normal for late July. The highlight has to be
the Little Blue Heron that  continues to forage without a care right off the
end of the boardwalk. The views  of the Little Blue Heron through a
spotting scope are as good as it gets. The  American Avocets were not seen either
at the boardwalk or the Pelican Mudflats.  They may still be around as there
is plenty of habitat for them. Good locations  to check include the mudflats
off Wiese Road and Oxbow Road in addition to still  keeping an eye out for
them at the boardwalk. Both Great Blue Herons (30+) and  Great Egrets
(15-20) were abundant and everywhere you looked.  A pair of American Coots was
perched on a  snag near the Big Walnut Creek channel as it cuts through the
Area M mudflats.  Shorebirds off the boardwalk included Semipalmated  Plover
(4), Killdeer (50+), Greater Yellowlegs (8), Lesser Yellowlegs (15),  Solitary
Sandpiper (2), Spotted Sandpiper (15), Semipalmated Sandpiper (30-35),
Least Sandpiper (50+), Pectoral Sandpiper (20-25) and Stilt Sandpiper (1).
There  were many Cliff Swallows going in and out from their nests under the Old
3C  Highway bridge. The last fledged Osprey is still around begging for
attention.
The  mudflats around Pelican Island have become very extensive and most of
the  activity is far out near the water’s edge, although there are several
areas  where the ground level drops and small inlets have formed. Both areas
were  active with shorebirds, herons and egrets. Here too both Great Blue
Herons  (25+) and Great Egrets (15-20) were abundant and everywhere you
looked.  Shorebirds included Semipalmated  Plover (2), Killdeer (75+), Greater
Yellowlegs (10), Lesser Yellowlegs (10),  Solitary Sandpiper (2), Spotted
Sandpiper (20), Semipalmated Sandpiper (30-35),  Least Sandpiper (50+), Pectoral
Sandpiper (20-25) and Stilt Sandpiper (1 -2).  The sand ridge near the water
held Caspian Terns (30+) and Herring Gulls (5) in  additional to the throng
of Ring-billed Gulls.
Charlie  Bombaci for Myself and Jim Fry