OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Rowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2012 21:32:37 -0400
Hi birders: I went out looking for shorebirds today in northcentral Ohio.
First I went to Pipe Creek Wildlife Area near Sandusky and birded there
from 8:30-10:30am. On Pond B, there were lots of egrets and herons. Three
immature little blue herons had been reported there yesterday and they were
still there this morning. Others were great egrets (30+), snowy egrets
(10+), GBH (10+), and one flyover immature black-crowned night heron. There
were a few shorebirds including killdeer (15+), greater yellowlegs (1),
lesser yellowlegs (4), least sandpiper (4-5), pectoral sandpiper (3),
short-billed dowitcher (1) and one spotted sandpiper flushed along the bay
trail walking in. There was one each Forester's and caspian tern flyover.
There were 100+ bank swallows hovering over the water and the occasional
barn swallow. Songbirds included one willow flycatcher calling, 5-10
kingbirds, several cedar waxwings and 5+ yellow warblers.

In the afternoon (hot), I birded at Sandy Ridge Reservation from 3-5pm. For
those of you who have not been there, this is a really good birding
destination because there are three distinct habitats: a large native
meadow area, a wet woods (better in the spring), and a large wetland area,
which right now has a lot of shorebird habitat. Dickcissels had been
reported from the meadow area for the last month or so, but the ranger
there told me they left about a week ago. Thus, I missed them. In the
meadow were a lot of immature meadowlarks and a few immature Baltimore
orioles. The wetland had lots of great egrets, GBH and ducks (mallard,
wood) and was very productive for shorebirds, including: killdeer (20+),
semipalmated plover (1), both yellowlegs (20+ each), solitary (5+), least
(15+), pectoral (10+). These were the ones I could ID with my scope, but
there were even more further out.

Both these locations are excellent for shorebirds now. Randy Rowe, Wooster