OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:30:22 -0400
Upon our arrival at The Conneaut Sandspit at about 1PM, we were immediately treated to a single gorgeous American Avocet in breeding plumage, on a sandbar in the bay to the left. The celebrity visitor was in the company of twelve Semi-palmated Plovers. In the past I had decided I would not complain about the other happenings at The Sandspit, but today got me upset again. After viewing the Avocet for about ten minutes, along comes a young guy with his trusty pit bull companion, running free along the shore, what about the leash law? No less than three times, he intentionally sent the dog after the Avocet. Each time, the Avocet would take flight, relocate, and try to rest again. After about twenty minutes, the guy and his dog apparently tired of their amusement and left, obviously not knowing how special the bird they were chasing is. Enough negativity, at about 1:30PM, more excitement, with two Whimbrels coming in, and landing right by the Avocet, who now also has two Short-billed Dowitchers for company. It is presently 2:20PM, Tuesday afternoon. The previously mentioned birds are all still here resting, along with twenty plus Least Sandpipers, six Caspian Terns, and a single Pectoral Sandpiper. Photos were taken.

Bob and Denise Lane