OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Brinkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 11:32:50 -0700
I just returned from Kilby Rd. Gravel Pits in western Ha
Ohio birders,

I just returned from Kilby Rd. Gravel Pits in western Hamilton county (Delorme p. 74, B1/2; GPS Lat. 39.210612°, Long. -84.783071°). I found two of the target species I was hoping for - Blue Grosbeak (1) and Bell's Vireo (2). I was also hoping to find Lark Sparrows but no luck there. The biggest surprise, however, were two COMMON LOONS on the lake. I was using the BirdLog app for iPhone, which when submitted goes directly into the e-bird database, when the loons were flagged. So I went back to the car to get my scope and walked down the hill to the lake to get a better look and took the liberty while the loons were in my scope to write a description (see below). I guess they were flagged due to the date and the season, but the Ohio Bird Records Committee checklist does say that lingering non-breeding loons do sometimes show up in the summer months. Another surprise, but not flagged by e-bird, were three Pectoral Sandpipers, one of them in hot pursuit
 of a Killdeer for unknown reason. The complete list is below.

David A. Brinkman
Cincinnati, OH