OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2012 15:22:41 -0400

This  morning I began recovery work on the Old Sunbury Road (Galena,
Delaware Cty)  section of my Prothonotary Warbler nest box trail. Carnage would be
a kind  description of what the recent storm did to this area along the
northeastern  shore of Hoover Reservoir. The old road that goes north from the
entrance to the  Eastshore Yacht Club to the old bridge base at Big Walnut
Creek had 14 large  trees down across it. Many, many more were down in the
habitat between the road  and the reservoir’s shore. I lost some nest boxes
but I don’t have a count yet  as I didn’t feel like crawling over, under and
through the fallen trees. The  scene reminded me of the obstacle course I
had to do when I was in the army.  Reinstalling new boxes will be no better
with all the downed trees. But the nest  box trail will recover with some
elbow grease and  determination.
I  looked for the Bald Eagle nest but I could not find it. This is like
looking for  a Volkswagen bus in a tree, very hard to miss if it is there. I
fear the nest  went down, but with all the other fallen trees and branches who
could tell if a  nest were in the middle. At least the young eagles had
fledged and to my comfort  I found them perched in a cottonwood tree.
The hike north along  the nest box trail wore me down so I decided to take
the easy route back to the  car. Go along the reservoir shoreline since the
water is down and the mudflats  are exposed. This turned out to be a good
choice as I found 8 species of  shorebirds as I walked south to the car. They
were Killdeer  (80+), Lesser Yellowlegs (14), Solitary Sandpiper (3),
Spotted Sandpiper (7),  Semipalmated Sandpiper (10-15), Least Sandpiper (8-10),
Stilt Sandpiper (2), and  Short-billed Dowitcher (4 – still mostly in breeding
plumage). The first wave of  migrating shorebirds is showing up and their
friends should be following  soon.

Final footnote, unusual for me, 1 Prothonotary Warbler. I think my guys
headed south early after the crazy weather.
Charlie  Bombaci
Hoover  Nature Preserve