OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Slager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jul 2012 16:30:57 -0400

From about 1:30-3pm, the 3 *Plegadis *ibis were still present at
Pickerington Ponds Metropark in Franklin County, near the Wood Duck viewing
area.  Thanks to Margaret and Nancy for getting the word out.  Keep in mind:

1)  Lighting conditions at this spot are best in the evening.  Another way
to put it is that lighting is frustrating here at all other times of the
day.

2)  I am thinking these are juvenile (hatch-year) birds.  In flight, their
flight feathers are uniform, crisp, and fresh with no sign of molt.  They
have streaked dull brown heads and necks and some scattered white spotting
is present on the throat, foreneck, and crown areas.  Note that Glossy
Ibis, White-faced Ibis, and hybrids are all possible in Ohio and many of
the field marks in your bird guide only apply to breeding adults, so many
younger birds will not be readily field-identifiable.  I am still studying
my field notes, photos, and other resources but at this point I'm guessing
a specific ID will be difficult or elusive.  I have some photos I will post
a link to later.  If anyone else gets decent photos or has comments on the
age and/or ID of these birds, please post to the listserv!

3)  1 Stilt Sandpiper and 1 Short-billed Dowitcher were also here.

Good birding,
Dave Slager
Columbus, Ohio

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> My friend Nancy Falcon who lives near Pickerington Ponds in Franklin Co.
just called me and asked me to post to the Ohio Birds Listserv. On her way
home from church today (Sunday July 15) she stopped briefly and saw 3 dark
ibis, which she believes are glossy ibis. She does not have a scope. These
were in the general area of the Wood Duck Blind, and were visible without
optics. Nancy is originally from Louisiana, and she knows an ibis when she
sees one!

www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.