OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2012

From:
Chris Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2012 04:23:05 -0700
Biking has been good this summer, but the birds have been pretty predictable
lately, so yesterday's ride was a bit of a surprise. The usual summer birds were
encountered throughout most of the 35 miles in Cuyahoga, Lorain and Medina
Counties, but the strech of Island Rd. form the inersection of Capel Rd. south
was pretty good:

Hill Spaulding Ditch, Lorain, US-OH (Island Rd.)
Jul 15, 2012 8:15 AM

Canada Goose  20
Red-shouldered Hawk  1    heard calling
Virginia Rail  1    In ditch on east side of road. Saw 3 times.
Killdeer  1
Mourning Dove  3
Chimney Swift  2
Barn Swallow  10
Common Yellowthroat  1
Savannah Sparrow  5
Song Sparrow  1
Red-Winged Blackbirds  6

The Rail was in the Hill Spaulding Ditch on the east side and I got some great
views of it out in the open for extended times before it would retreat into the
tall grass.

It made for a great morning ride.

See you on the trails,

Chris Pierce